John Smith's Bay is a beautiful beach located in Smith's Parish, with a panoramic view of the South Shore and the surrounding coast. John Smith's Bay is a popular snorkeling location with reefs only about 200 yards away from the shoreline. The beach itself was named after explorer Captain John Smith who created the first map of Bermuda in 1631. Lifeguards are on duty during summer months. Photo by Tim Conway.